Name:

Thats what we will get to.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A terrible story

I didn't sleep well since I was sort of worryed about my meeting today. Its an important client and I was on the spot.

The meeting itself went well, the client seemed happy enough and I had the right outfit on but I think I was having a really bad hair day. I don't think anyone noticed tho.

And plus I had a lovely lunch with my friend who is from here and I saw nice pics of his family who are so cute. And we ate at this cool Kosher place but I was so paniced about my meeting that I hardly even really knew what I was doing or saying.

Then something really alarming and upsetting happened. Very very upsetting.

I came out of my meeting on Church street and I was trying to get my bearings. I left everyone go a bit early so it was a total fluke that I was even there in the first place.

I heard a baby schrieking and screaming and crying at the top of its lungs. I turned to look at see, since it was a pain scream and I know that sound so well. I mean just as a Mother I know it. So I went on 'red alert' to see if the baby needed help and I went to look behind the train entrance and then I saw the most horrible site you can imagine. This young woman was punching and beating her 2 year old boy as hard as she could and she was screaming at him at the same time!

Myself and another woman ran over to her and physically made her stop. Then I dialed 911 and told her I was going to have the police come right there and arrest her.

I mean it I did just that.

And then she started crying and crying and she said she was sorry and I saw she was about 15 years old. The baby was hysterical and I told her to pick up the baby. I said it in a calm way and I tried to soothe her and the baby and I hung up from the 911 and asked her what happened.

She said the baby had been lost in the store and she was scared to death and that she had gone to the dentist today and they wouldn't take off her braces! She cried and cried and said , ' you don't know what I have been thru! please don't call the cops on me".

The other woman said to her, that she must not beat her baby, that she will hurt him and it solves nothing.

She scolded her and talked to her about it.

I rubbed the babies back a bit and tryed to calm him down and calm the mother down too. I could sense that she wasn't a bad person she had just snapped and been overwhelmed. Poor thing. Poor baby, both so young.

So I didn't know what to do, I just let the other lady finish and I said, ok ok, you have to get some rest and go home. You have to take a bath and sit down when you get home and collect yourself so things like this won't happen again.

And she said ok, and she was crying and crying but she was calming down and the baby stopped crying.

I didn't know how else to help her so I reached in my purse and gave her 20 dollars and told her to get a sitter for her son and get some time to rest.

I didn't know what else to do.

I hugged her and told her to take care of herself and then I walked with the lady to the next corner and we just were agast about what happened. She was a nice lady. She is a teacher so she loves children.

I don't know if I did the right thing, I don't think the police will solve it. I just hope and pray for the baby to be ok and for the two of them to work this out.

If you pray and you believe in that please say a prayer for them for me.

Thanks.

14 Comments:

Blogger partway said...

Unfortunately not what many want to hear, but most likely she will do it again unless she seeks help.
A cycle of violence most likely she grew up with as well.
Like any disease, knowing you have it is part of solution.
You did what any caring person would do, the number one concern is the child and in this case sounds like the mom was one as well.

4:47 PM  
Blogger callieischatty said...

Well its awful to say but I myself grew up in foster care here and there and believe me I can tell you its so often WAY WAY worse than the home they yank you out of.


I feel terrible about it.

I did what I could do, but of course its not enough.

I wish I had her number so I could call her. I wonder if she has anyone to help her.

Poor things.

5:22 PM  
Blogger callieischatty said...

My point is that calling the cops on that poor girl would not have solved anything.

Her life is bad. I could see it in her face.

When I started to just touch and 'coo' at her baby it was like a light went off over her head. No one does that to her I can tell.

Who knows what sort of home she grew up in? Who is anyone to judge this poor kid.

I myself saw her punch that baby, but what is the answer?

I don't know.

I would have brought her home with me if I didn't have a family of my own to mind.

6:00 PM  
Blogger MisFitToy said...

Wow! Thought this kind of thing only happens to me. Callie, you are such a caring person and a good mother who reacted from your gut and your heart to reach out to a hurting child and a mom who was just a child herself.

Thank you for being the angel who cared along with the teacher. The two of you make the world worth living in because of caring strangers. You remind me of the story of the Good Samaritan. You were just what that young mom and her baby needed and what you did was appropriate and timely. You weren't meant to take them home and raise them, but just do what was in your heart and if more seemed opportune, your heart would have told you. From your childhood, you reached out to the sound of another in pain and helped bring seasoned reason to a bad scene. That meeting was important to you, but G-D had a "chance meeting" setup for you and you passed the test. His meeting was more important to Him and He wants you to know how much he cares for you and your family and has had His eye on you all along. As this young mother's Abba -Father, he'll care for her and her young one just as He's been watching over you and yours.
P.S. As a businessman, I hope your other meeting went well as your business sounds like it is still taking off well. Hope you recovered enough to do well in your meeting for later in the day!
MisFitToy

6:20 PM  
Blogger callieischatty said...

thanks my meeting was great...but this upset me so much I am only starting to wrap my head around this now.
Thanks for your kind words tho, I feel like I should have done more for them.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Abbas Halai said...

whoa!

9:05 AM  
Blogger RaY-ZoR said...

It was very nice of you to help that girl out. This is why parents should be careful about what their children are up to. What kind of behaviour would one expect from a 15 year old mother? Tsk tsk. I hope the there's SOMEONE in this world who can support her out there.

11:27 AM  
Blogger DIAMONDKT said...

That's some story! I think you did a great thing by going over to stop that young woman. I applaud you there. I would of done the same thing you did, except I don't know if I would of handed her $20 and told her to get a sitter. Like some other people mentioned, she may repeat this child beating pattern, that is to say if she hasn't been beating this kid all along. I think it may of been better to direct her to some type of support group or something to help her break this cycle and get help. Even if this was her first time, it's scary and I fear for this little boy's well being and life.

I know since you are just visiting the city, that having you point the young woman to the nearest anger management or child raising class is not really practical and you did what you felt was best given the circumstances. So don't be too hard on yourself Callie. The important thing is that you stepped in and stopped it when you did!

This girl is practically a child herself so I can see how she snapped. Her mind isn't even fully developed into an adult, so it's hard to ask her to make adult decisions like raising a baby. Of course she is in that situation probably by her own doing, so not much you can do there to help. It's just a shame that a bad situation (being a teen Mom) to begin with is made even worse with such behavior. Sad.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Oh man, that is just shocking! Poor baby. Honestly I don't feel so bad for the teenage mother... I hate to say what people always do say, but she should keep her legs closed from now on! I'm trying to have a kid right now, it's hard to see things or hear about things like that and not be resentful, when I am trying to have one of my own, and I know I'd treat a baby so much better.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Emmunah said...

you did the right thing...she loves her child...foster homes are much, much worse!

almost every mother loses it occassionally, and you know what? the previous generations seemed to be none the worse for it. I don't buy into the cycle of violence in 80% of the cases...it's just a good way for social workers to perpetuate their industry. I guess that makes me callous...but so be it.

1:36 AM  
Blogger callieischatty said...

rebecca we don't want to judge this girl she is a child herself.

who knows her life or what happened to her?

Many young girls get pregnant because they are lonly and who can really blame them?

Everyone wants affection and for some this is the only way they know how to find it.

I feel sorry for them.

And I am sure you will be able to start your family soon! Don't worry it will happen!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Callie, you did what you felt in your heart was the right thing. God bless you. I will say a prayer for that baby and mom.

8:32 PM  
Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Wow, what a story. I'd be worried for the safety of that kid though. I would have gotten the police involved. But I wasn't there, so I can't talk.

3:18 PM  
Blogger callieischatty said...

I was worryed for the baby I admit. But I did what I thought was best at the time. I hope it was the right thing, sad thing is I will never know.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home